Pages

My Artistic Journey ⑥

 Through the process of creating, I gradually realized that rhythm does not only exist in painting, but also in music.

Later, I began exploring music and learning classical guitar. Through practicing and listening to music, I slowly felt that the rhythm and variations in music share certain similarities with painting.

The flow of musical notes reminds me of the relationship between colors and lines, while the rise and fall of a melody often brings to mind the rhythm and structure within a painting.

Looking back, however, I did not consciously try to connect music and painting at the beginning.

Perhaps it was simply because music had always been something I loved. Gradually, themes related to music began to appear in my works.

For example, my earlier Cultural Exuberance series was inspired by traditional culture, featuring musical instruments, dancers, performers, wau kite flying, traditional boats, and traditional games such as gasing (spinning tops).

These subjects reflect cultural traditions, festive activities, and the human spirit found in everyday life, while also expressing my interest in traditional culture, music, and community life.


Drum and Drummer 1
Oil|2001


Later, in the Spirit Of Life series, deer, children playing with paper planes, and ball games began to appear.

These subjects grew out of observations of everyday life and symbolize life, growth, dreams, and hope. Although they are not directly related to music, the movement of a running deer, a child releasing a paper plane, or the flow and motion found in ball games all contain a sense of rhythm and movement. Like the rise and fall of a melody, these elements express the vitality and flow of life.


A Flock of Deer
Oil|2016


The Music Is Life series, which developed afterwards, introduced musicians, symbolic fruits, and performers as recurring elements in my paintings.

Looking back now, these series may differ in subject matter, yet they seem to follow a common thread.

Cultural Exuberance explores traditional culture, music, and community life.

Spirit Of Life explores the rhythm and vitality of life.

Music Is Life further brings together music and life as one.

Although these three series developed during different periods, they all continue to appear in my work today. In recent years, however, Music Is Life has become the more dominant direction in my practice.


Sharing #1
Acrylic|2022


Perhaps without realizing it, I have been exploring rhythm, life, and the relationship between people and the world through different forms of expression.

Over time, I began to feel that art is like an invisible language.

Both painting and music express feelings that are often difficult to describe with words.

Life may be similar.

Many things are not carefully planned, but gradually take shape through time and experience.

Sometimes when I paint, the composition seems to form its own melody.

Within colors, lines, and rhythm, there appears to be a hidden pulse of life.

Perhaps both painting and music are ways for us to understand the world and express our emotions.

Have you ever felt such rhythms in your own life?